Two vehicles crashed into a Kansas City day-care center early
Tuesday afternoon and injured three children, two of whom were pinned under a
vehicle, police said.
The accident happened shortly before 1 p.m. CDT at Christian Academy Day Care.
Three children suffered serious injuries, said Battalion Chief James Garrett, a Kansas City Fire Department spokesman.
A police department employee who was driving nearby and people on the scene rescued one child from under one of the vehicles. Firefighters rescued a second child from under the vehicle using air bags and the Jaws of Life, Garrett said.
A black Range Rover hit a parked silver Cadillac and knocked it inside the building. The wreck knocked a power pole over part way, leaving it tilting at a 45-degree angle in front of the building.
Approximately 40 children were inside the day-care center. The injured children were taken to Children's Mercy Hospital, said Capt. Tye Grant, a police spokesman. Their conditions were not known. The driver of the Range Rover also was taken to a hospital.
Firefighters stabilized the building with 2-by-4s and other lumber before checking the building a second time to make sure all children and adults had gotten out.
Many of the non-injured children were taken to a nearby residence.
(c)2013 The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.)
Visit The Kansas City Star (Kansas City, Mo.) at www.kansascity.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
KeyWords:: BC-DAYCARE-CRASH:KC BC DAYCARE CRASH KC
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security