There's a single point on base where Airmen perform a critical part of the mission here to fuel, maintain, load and test missiles -- all under one roof.
The Airmen assigned to the 2nd Munitions Squadron Cruise Missile Flight at
"Our number one goal is deterrence," said Master Sgt.
"One can think of a cruise missile as a small aircraft that doesn't come back," said 2nd Lt.
However, cruise missiles boast more than just a longer range over conventional munitions.
"The cruise missile has a jet engine, flight control surfaces and internal navigation controls which act like a pilot to steer the missile," said Capt.
Cruise missile technology allows B-52H Stratofortress aircrews to launch them far from harm.
"The B-52 can fly into a region and the missile will cover the rest of the distance while the B-52 flies home without being in danger," Cooper said.
Due to the missile's highly technical construction, Airmen who work on them require diverse training that begins at
"This career field is one of the most versatile career fields in the
In pursuit of excellence, cruise missile flight Airmen work hard to accomplish the deterrence mission.
"The world doesn't know where our nuclear-capable submarines are, and they don't know the status of our intercontinental ballistic missiles," Cooper said. "But they can see Barksdale (AFB Airmen) generating B-52s on the flightline which can be enough to quell conflict in a region because they know America's capability. The rest of the world can see the B-52 fleet and its arsenal of weapons and know that we can reach out and touch them."
by Airman 1st Class
2nd Bomb Wing Public Affairs
TNS 30FurigayJane-130731-4440934 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses