PERHAPS the most famous musical of all time is given a new lease of life by Cornish performers this month in a new production for the summer. The Sound Of Music has been enthralling audiences all over the world for more than half a century, and this new production under director Steve Jefferies stays true to the spirit of this much- loved musical drama. It's performed at Cornwall's openair moorland theatre, Sterts, by its own theatre company, featuring a cast of talented local performers aged from primary school to pension.
The Sound Of Music is set to follow in the footsteps of many other acclaimed family summer hits at Sterts, which is to be found on the edge of Bodmin Moor at Upton Cross, near Liskeard. This new production will feature, of course, all the many hits for which the Rodgers and Hammerstein show has become a legend: Edelweiss, Do-Re- Mi, My Favourite Things and The Sound Of Music itself.
The iconic role of Maria, the nun who charms the icy Baron Von Trapp and his talented family of singers, and joins them in their escape from Nazi persecution, is played by Lisa Townsend, who first came to Sterts to perform in Cornish Phoenix last summer. She said: It's certainly a massive challenge to tackle such a famous role, but our aim is to do justice to perhaps the greatest musical of them all.
Sterts has become famous in Cornwall for its feel-good family summer productions, and that's a proud tradition which the cast of The Sound Of Music are determined to continue. It opens on Friday and you can catch future productions at Sterts on July 13, 26, August 2, 5, 6, 10, 26 and 31.
There's lots more information available on www.sterts.co.uk, and the theatre can be contacted on 01579 362382.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response