As Independence Day approaches, many Southland residents will hit the
road to take a break and celebrate elsewhere.
Nearly three million Southern California travelers are expected to drive to their holiday destinations and about 343,000 are expected to travel by air, according to the Automobile Club of Southern California.
Prices at the pump are expected to drop shortly before the holiday approaches, according to the Auto Club's website.
"Southern California motorists are amazingly being spared from wholesale prices that spiked by 70 cents from June 3 to 19, then plummeted by 72 cents in the last week," said Auto Club spokesperson Jeffrey Spring. "Southland Fourth of July travelers should be able to gas up at or below $4 a gallon for their trips, and the Auto Club is predicting that 2.92 million local residents will travel for the holiday, with 79 percent of them going by car."
A survey taken by the AAA shows the top five destinations for Southern Californians this Fourth of July are San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon and the central California coast.
"Last year, travelers had a choice between including either the weekend before or the weekend after the Fourth of July as part of their holiday since it fell on a Wednesday, but this year, travelers are more likely to take Independence Day as a four-day holiday from Thursday through Sunday," said Auto Club vice president Filomena Andre.
"Considering that the holiday travel period contains one fewer weekend than last year, Independence Day travel is looking fairly strong for 2013."
(c)2013 the San Bernardino County Sun (San Bernardino, Calif.)
Visit the San Bernardino County Sun (San Bernardino, Calif.) at www.sbsun.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ted Cruz: Why Did FAA Ban Flights to Israel?
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Risks of Layoffs Becoming Rarer in U.S.
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks