July 29--FERRIDAY -- Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne will be in town Saturday for a bit of soul.
Dardenne's office is one of several sponsors of the Louisiana Soundtrack Experience.
The Louisiana Office of Tourism started the initiative to explore and celebrate the state's musical history.
Ferriday will host the fourth part of the tour, beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Arcade Theater. Previous stops included Shreveport, Natchitoches and Lafayette. The final stop on the tour is New Orleans.
Communication Director Jacques Berry said Ferriday was chosen for its contributions to Louisiana music.
"It's a small part of the state but has made a big impact for how big the town actually is," Berry said.
The Ferriday event is titled "Great Balls of Fire: Delta Blues and Rock 'n' Roll in Jerry Lee's Hometown."
The event will begin with a panel discussion on preserving musical heritage. Panelists include musician Kenny Bill Stinson, songwriter Tommy Polk, author J.D. Davis and Louisiana Tech literature and language professor Susan Roach.
Next, is a film screening of "Sunshine By The Stars: Celebrating Louisiana Music, featuring Ferriday's own Mickey Gilley.
The Ferriday festival wraps up with music from The Matthew Davidson Band, Kenny Bill Stinson and Easy Eddie and the Party Rockers. Music begins at 6 p.m. and is scheduled to end at 8:45 p.m.
Delta Music Museum Director Judith Bingham said she is excited to see how many people attend the Louisiana Soundtrack Experience's fourth stop.
"We are just a small rural town, but we have a lot of history," Bingham said. "I hoping for a large crowd to turn out and enjoy some good music and a little history."
(c)2013 The Natchez Democrat (Natchez, Miss.)
Visit The Natchez Democrat (Natchez, Miss.) at www.natchezdemocrat.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Is North Korea's Kim Jong Ill?
- International Coffee Day Means Free Coffee at Dunkin' Donuts, Krispy Kreme, McDonalds
- Pending U.S. Home Sales Slid in August
- Jerry Brown Signs 'Yes Means Yes' Law
- Drunk Driver Rear Ends Jennifer Lopez, Leah Remini's Car
- George Clooney Says 'I Do' For a Second Time
- GoPro Launching Three New Cameras
- Macy's Boosts Holiday Hiring 3.6 Percent