Florida Gambling Law Illegalizes Macs, PCs, Smartphones -->
Larry explains a phony veterans' charity set up an illegal gambling operation. This turned into a major state scandal, resulting in
An Internet cafe filed a lawsuit to strike down this overly broad law.
Some Internet cafes offer regular customers who buy time on computers chances to win small prizes. Collecting the prize requires entering a code, which looks like a game on the computer screen. Now, under the new state law, this would be an illegal slot machine.
As a result of this law, at least 1,000 Florida Internet cafes have closed. Adult bingo parlors and arcades sit empty. Joyce and Larry discuss how the statute hurts vulnerable people including seniors looking for inexpensive social entertainment, and those without computers or Internet service.
Larry notes the
Joyce asks whether large chains such as Boomer's, Dave & Buster's and even
Read our Lawyers.com article on this legal controversy. Listen to Larry's complete WFTL interview in the audio box above to learn what's next for this case.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts