The Lincoln Memorial in Washington was shut down Friday after being splashed
with green paint, U.S. Park Police said.
A patrol officer found paint on parts of the statue of Abraham Lincoln and the floor of the memorial about 1:20 a.m., The Washington Post reported.
Authorities said they were reviewing surveillance footage in their investigating of the vandalism.
The National Park Service said the memorial would be closed until the paint is removed.
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Prius Among Insurance Institute's 39 Top Safety Vehicles
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- 'American Hustle' Review
- Nigella Bites Back Over 'Vilification'
- Judge Grants Order, Keeping Tonsil Surgery Tragedy Girl on Ventilator
- Mazda Leads the Pack for Fuel Efficiency
- Time No Longer Stands Still for Cuban Entrepreneurs