July 26--CNN Films announced Friday afternoon that it has acquired Sole Survivor, director Ky Dickens' documentary film about lone survivors of commercial airline crashes.
The film, which was screened at the Kentucky Theatre last week, includes the first public comments from James Polehinke. He was the co-pilot and only survivor of Comair Flight 5191, which crashed after takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington on Aug. 27, 2006, killing 49 people.
The announcement came a day after another CNN acquisition, Our Nixon, screened at the Kentucky, just a week before its debut on the television network. The film, co-produced by University of Kentucky assistant law professor Brian L. Frye, is made of home movies by members of President Richard M. Nixon's staff who later went to prison for their roles in the Watergate scandal. It will air at 9 p.m. Thursday on CNN.
Sole Survivor will next be screened Saturday at the Traverse City Film Festival in Michigan. After the movie's theatrical release, it will be shown on CNN in early 2014, the network said.
Rich Copley: (859) 231-3217. Twitter: @copiousnotes. Blog: Copiousnotes.bloginky.com.
(c)2013 the Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.)
Visit the Lexington Herald-Leader (Lexington, Ky.) at www.kentucky.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight