The 85-inch Ultra HD (High Definition) television beats
Earlier this year,
The companies are battling for wealthy individuals and institutions like hotels and bars that are increasingly turning to wider screen sets.
Allan Oyier, Samsung Electronics East Africa general manager, said the new model features not only a large screen but also higher resolution than existing high-definition model. "The TV will be the most premium in the market,'' added Mr Oyier.
The set comes with an inbuilt camera and wireless Internet connectivity and users control channels through the touch screen as well control the TV volume by their voice.
The South Korean firm has stepped up its reach in
It's targeting the continent with flat-panel TVs, mobile phones, laptops and colour laser printers that scan, fax and copy.
Samsung is expanding its huge supply chain reach into
Globally, Samsung is shifting its focus towards new generation LED display technology as it reduces its interest on liquid crystal display (LCD) flat-screen business.
The outlook for LCD TVs has dimmed as shoppers, especially in developed markets, have traded in their bulky cathode-ray tube TVs for flat screens, and competition has intensified from low-cost Chinese manufacturers.
Samsung and others such as rival LG are shifting to newer organic light-emitting diode (OLED) flat-screen display currently used mainly in high-end smartphones, reckoning this technology will replace LCD in larger-sized panels such as TV screens.
READ: LG raises stakes in local market with 84-inch set
This is catching up in emerging countries where the new LED screens and Smart TVs have added to the experience of home entertainment as the incomes in
READ: World's largest 90-inch LED television hits Kenyan stores
With additional features like Internet connectivity, Wi-Fi, power-saving and 3D experience; the television sets are popular with high end clients.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief