In the latest edition of the
"The development of GE salmon is based on more than two decades of scientific research making it the most studied line of Atlantic salmon," says Dr.
After years of review and in consultation with other government agencies, the
"Unfortunately, the review process has been hampered by baseless claims that have stymied regulators' ability to make decisions that are science- rather than politically-based," says Dr. Enright.
"It's unfortunate that a small network of people continue to foment fear and spread misinformation about biotechnology--in this case a technology that could help pave the way to meet the animal protein needs of a burgeoning global population in a way that will not deplete wild fish stocks or require forests to be cleared for food production," says Dr. Enright.
The United Nation's
"A decision on this application is long overdue," says Dr. Enright. "The cost has been high, economically and morally - a U.S. company has lost jobs by government inaction, investment in public and private sector research has been negatively impacted, and advances in sustainable food production have been precluded.
**The AquAdvantage salmon is genetically engineered to reach its market weight in half the time of conventionally raised salmon thus contributing to more sustainable aquaculture systems. It was developed by
TNS 24HariRad-130726-30FurigayJane-4436463 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court