Gunmen have killed 14 truck drivers in an ambush
north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, said security officials on
The gunmen stopped the drivers early Thursday at a fake checkpoint on a major road linking Baghdad to the northern city of Kirkuk.
They fired at them and made off with their trucks.
The attack was the latest in a surge of violence that has killed nearly 300 people in Iraq since the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began on July 10, according to official figures.
Militants often increase their attacks in Iraq during Ramadan.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English