Gunmen have killed 14 truck drivers in an ambush
north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, said security officials on
The gunmen stopped the drivers early Thursday at a fake checkpoint on a major road linking Baghdad to the northern city of Kirkuk.
They fired at them and made off with their trucks.
The attack was the latest in a surge of violence that has killed nearly 300 people in Iraq since the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began on July 10, according to official figures.
Militants often increase their attacks in Iraq during Ramadan.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount