Gunmen have killed 14 truck drivers in an ambush
north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, said security officials on
The gunmen stopped the drivers early Thursday at a fake checkpoint on a major road linking Baghdad to the northern city of Kirkuk.
They fired at them and made off with their trucks.
The attack was the latest in a surge of violence that has killed nearly 300 people in Iraq since the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began on July 10, according to official figures.
Militants often increase their attacks in Iraq during Ramadan.
Most Popular Stories
- Illegal Immigration Near Historic Low, Despite What You May Have Heard
- Small-Business Loans Fueling Economic Growth
- Gasoline Costs Drive Consumer Price Increases
- Saudi Arabia Will Open Stock Market to Foreigners
- Ford: New F-150 Is No Lightweight
- Tesco Head Steps Down After Profit Warning
- Durbin Drubs Walgreen for Possible Tax Dodge
- Russians Fed Steady Diet of Conspiracy Theories
- Want a Job? Try Minneapolis
- Comic-Con Offers Toy Designers a Chance to Go Wild