Gunmen have killed 14 truck drivers in an ambush
north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, said security officials on
The gunmen stopped the drivers early Thursday at a fake checkpoint on a major road linking Baghdad to the northern city of Kirkuk.
They fired at them and made off with their trucks.
The attack was the latest in a surge of violence that has killed nearly 300 people in Iraq since the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began on July 10, according to official figures.
Militants often increase their attacks in Iraq during Ramadan.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset