Gunmen have killed 14 truck drivers in an ambush
north of the Iraqi capital Baghdad, said security officials on
The gunmen stopped the drivers early Thursday at a fake checkpoint on a major road linking Baghdad to the northern city of Kirkuk.
They fired at them and made off with their trucks.
The attack was the latest in a surge of violence that has killed nearly 300 people in Iraq since the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began on July 10, according to official figures.
Militants often increase their attacks in Iraq during Ramadan.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.