Google unveiled a new tablet computer
Wednesday running the latest version of its Android operating system,
as well as a cheap dongle that turns television into streaming video
The new Nexus 7 ups Google's competition with Apple's iPad mini. The low-cost tablet, which goes on sale Tuesday in the United States, boasts a new 1,920 by 1,200 pixel screen with a density of 323 ppi, which Google said is ideal for watching HD content.
The Nexus 7's processor has been upgraded to a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro with 2 GB of RAM for apps, doubling processing power and boosting graphics by a factor of four.
The device features stereo speakers with virtual surround technology, as well as both front and rear-facing cameras.
The Nexus 7 ships with Android 4.3, and the battery is good for nine hours of video playback or 10 hours of Web browsing, according to Google.
The starting price is 229 dollars for a 16GB device with Wi-Fi, ranging to 349 dollars for a 32 GB device with Wi-Fi and 4G connectivity. By contrast, Apple's iPad mini with inferior screen and processor currently starts at 329 dollars.
The Chromecast device costs 35 dollars from Google's Play store in the US and connects to the HDMI port of televisions to deliver video pushed from smartphones, tablets and the Chrome browser.
It supports devices running both Android and Apple's iOS, as well as Windows and Mac computers running Google's Chrome browser. Users can control the content using their smartphones, while Chromecast automatically switches the television to the right input when it is activated.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder