July 24--NEXT Monday night's invitational premiere of "The Butler" will be the acid test for the new digital-cinema installation in the Perelman Theater at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, with director Lee Daniels and star Cuba Gooding Jr. on hand to make judgement calls.
But the setup looked and sounded fine at the press introduction yesterday for what's now being billed as Philadelphia's largest (490-seat) screening room for one-night, few-night and festival film unspoolings, as well as business meets and private movie parties.
An Ultra High-Def Barco digital projector and huge Stewart screen make for a super bright, razor-sharp image. And the surround-sound system puts out prodigiously in this music-attuned hall. "Live from the Met" HD opera simulcasts would show very well here, though the Kimmel is currently lacking closed-circuit satellite-reception gear, allowed VP of facilities and operations David Thiele.
Greater Philadelphia Filmmakers -- an offshoot of the Greater Philadelphia Film Office -- is coordinating Perelman movie bookings, said GPF director Joan Bressler. The Philadelphia Film Festival, Awesomefest, Jewish Film Festival and Philadelphia Film Society are already putting holds on available nights. (For fast transitions, the screen flies up into the rafters and stage speakers roll into the wings.)
This new film venue will compete with the new and nearby, 470-seat, digital-cinema-equipped Prince Music Theater, where GPFO's executive director once supervised the self-named "Sharon Pinkenson Film Project."
(c)2013 the Philadelphia Daily News
Visit the Philadelphia Daily News at www.philly.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes