George Zimmerman, the man recently acquitted in the shooting
death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, helped rescue a family from an overturned
SUV last week, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office confirmed Monday.
According to sheriff's spokeswoman Heather Smith, deputies were called to the crash about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday.
A Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle had gone off the road and rolled over in the area of Interstate 4 and State Road 46, Smith said, with two children and their parents inside.
By the time a deputy arrived, Zimmerman and another man "had already helped assist the family by getting them out of the overturned vehicle," Smith said.
"Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after making contact with the deputy," Smith said in an emailed statement. "There were no report of injuries to the vehicle occupants."
The Sheriff's Office has not released any information on the family or the other man.
The crash came days after six Seminole County residents returned a not-guilty verdict in Zimmerman's high-profile murder trial. Prosecutors accused Zimmerman of profiling, pursuing and killing Trayvon in his Sanford, Fla., townhouse community Feb. 26, 2012.
Zimmerman, then a Neighborhood Watch volunteer for the Retreat at Twin Lakes, said he shot Trayvon in self-defense after the unarmed Miami Gardens teen attacked him.
Zimmerman remains in hiding, as he had been while awaiting trial.
(c)2013 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)
Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
KeyWords:: BC-TEENSLAIN-RESCUE:OS BC TEENSLAIN RESCUE OS
Most Popular Stories
- BofA CEO Gets a 77 Percent Pay Bump
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Rand Paul Tells Rivals to Peddle Their Own Ideas
- Boeing Shares Fall on New Dreamliner Delay
- Goya Nutritionist Answers Demand for Healthy Hispanic Dishes
- Ukraine Crisis Sets U.S. Stocks Adrift
- Ukraine Says Russia Can't Have Crimea
- Gazprom Warns Ukraine to Pay Its Gas Bill
- FBI Investigating For-Profit Prison Company
- Alan Mulally Gets Big Payday From Ford