The Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son at a private hospital in London, CBCNews reported.
The duchess and her husband, Prince William, had said they were unaware of the baby's gender before the birth.
The couple's son is third in the line of succession to the British throne, after his grandfather Prince Charles and his father.
Queen Elizabeth II was the first person to be officially notified of the birth, while the public announcement was made via the traditional paper notice outside Buckingham Palace.
The boy was unnamed at press time.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals