The Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son at a private hospital in London, CBCNews reported.
The duchess and her husband, Prince William, had said they were unaware of the baby's gender before the birth.
The couple's son is third in the line of succession to the British throne, after his grandfather Prince Charles and his father.
Queen Elizabeth II was the first person to be officially notified of the birth, while the public announcement was made via the traditional paper notice outside Buckingham Palace.
The boy was unnamed at press time.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006