The Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son at a private hospital in London, CBCNews reported.
The duchess and her husband, Prince William, had said they were unaware of the baby's gender before the birth.
The couple's son is third in the line of succession to the British throne, after his grandfather Prince Charles and his father.
Queen Elizabeth II was the first person to be officially notified of the birth, while the public announcement was made via the traditional paper notice outside Buckingham Palace.
The boy was unnamed at press time.
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Detroit Muslim Conference Stirs Controversy