The Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son at a private hospital in London, CBCNews reported.
The duchess and her husband, Prince William, had said they were unaware of the baby's gender before the birth.
The couple's son is third in the line of succession to the British throne, after his grandfather Prince Charles and his father.
Queen Elizabeth II was the first person to be officially notified of the birth, while the public announcement was made via the traditional paper notice outside Buckingham Palace.
The boy was unnamed at press time.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11