The Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, gave birth to a son at a private hospital in London, CBCNews reported.
The duchess and her husband, Prince William, had said they were unaware of the baby's gender before the birth.
The couple's son is third in the line of succession to the British throne, after his grandfather Prince Charles and his father.
Queen Elizabeth II was the first person to be officially notified of the birth, while the public announcement was made via the traditional paper notice outside Buckingham Palace.
The boy was unnamed at press time.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- IBM Investing $3 Billion in Chip Research
- Boehner Says No to Palin's Call for Impeachment
- Emmys: The List of Nominees
- Average 30-Year Mortgage Rate Rises to 4.15 Percent
- Kerry Calls for Calm in Gaza
- U.S. Wholesalers Cut Stockpiles as Sales Weaken
- N.D. Pipeline Cleanup Could Take Weeks
- UAW Will Take Another Swing at VW Chattanooga