Smokies at home: The Tennessee Smokies will host the Jacksonville Suns on Sunday at 5 p.m. at Smokies Park. Promotions include Kids Run the Show; Tennessee Achieves Night; and a postgame concert featuring Southern Drawl Band. The Smokies are leading the Southern League North Division in the second half of the season with an 18-9 record.
Beat the heat: Seven new movies opened in Knoxville this weekend. They include: horror flick "The Conjuring"; Hasidic drama "Fill the Void"; Kristen Wiig-starring indie "Girl Most Likely"; nuclear- energy documentary "Pandora's Promise"; action sequel "RED 2"; adventure-comedy "R.I.P.D."; and family-friendly animated comedy "Turbo." Go to www.knoxville.com for movie reviews and showtimes.
The Bard downtown: Tennessee Stage Company brings Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" to Market Square at 7 p.m. today. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.
Celebrity birthdays: Singer Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) is 65. Cartoonist Garry Trudeau is 65. Comedian-actor Robin Williams is 62. Comedian Jon Lovitz is 56. Actress Ali Landry is 40. Actor Josh Hartnett is 35. Reggae singer Damian Marley is 35. "American Idol" runner-up Blake Lewis is 32.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise