July 02--STAUNTON -- Session 1 of the American Shakespeare Center Theatre Camp hosts their final performances noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, July 7.
ASC Theatre Camp is a program is for young, aspiring actors who want professional-quality training in Shakespeare in a college preparatory environment.
For three weeks, campers have been learning Shakespeare's language, staging conditions, clowning, stage combat, and music by taking classes with ASC actors and Mary Baldwin College professors, while rehearsing for their final shows.
The first camp session will perform one-hour versions of Shakespeare's Pericles and As You Like It and The Wild Goose Chase by John Fletcher, one of Shakespeare's contemporaries.
>> Periclesis a sea-faring, chivalric adventure of a family torn apart then reunited, featuring pirates, shipwrecks, and villainous kings.
>> The Wild Goose Chase, by John Fletcher, explores the sport of marriage, though tricks and traps line the path to the altar in this madcap comedy.
>> As You Like It is a classic tale of pastoral pleasures infused with gender-bending and romantic confusion in the Forest of Arden.
The final performances are free and open to the public, and all ages are encouraged to join in giving the young company an enthusiastic audience.
(c)2013 The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.)
Visit The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.) at www.newsvirginian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimean Referendum Violates International Law: Obama
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Social Media Can Help a Company's Credit Line
- Fuentes Makes NAHREP's Top 10 List
- Hispanic Unemployment Eased in February
- Boeing Freezes Nonunion Workers' Pensions
- Juanes Back to Singing About Love
- Alfredo Ramos Martínez, Mexican Muralist, Symposium at Scripps
- Darrell Issa Apologizes to Elijah Cummings
- 2 Million Long-term Jobless Have No Benefits