July 02--STAUNTON -- Session 1 of the American Shakespeare Center Theatre Camp hosts their final performances noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, July 7.
ASC Theatre Camp is a program is for young, aspiring actors who want professional-quality training in Shakespeare in a college preparatory environment.
For three weeks, campers have been learning Shakespeare's language, staging conditions, clowning, stage combat, and music by taking classes with ASC actors and Mary Baldwin College professors, while rehearsing for their final shows.
The first camp session will perform one-hour versions of Shakespeare's Pericles and As You Like It and The Wild Goose Chase by John Fletcher, one of Shakespeare's contemporaries.
>> Periclesis a sea-faring, chivalric adventure of a family torn apart then reunited, featuring pirates, shipwrecks, and villainous kings.
>> The Wild Goose Chase, by John Fletcher, explores the sport of marriage, though tricks and traps line the path to the altar in this madcap comedy.
>> As You Like It is a classic tale of pastoral pleasures infused with gender-bending and romantic confusion in the Forest of Arden.
The final performances are free and open to the public, and all ages are encouraged to join in giving the young company an enthusiastic audience.
(c)2013 The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.)
Visit The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.) at www.newsvirginian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World