July 02--STAUNTON -- Session 1 of the American Shakespeare Center Theatre Camp hosts their final performances noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, July 7.
ASC Theatre Camp is a program is for young, aspiring actors who want professional-quality training in Shakespeare in a college preparatory environment.
For three weeks, campers have been learning Shakespeare's language, staging conditions, clowning, stage combat, and music by taking classes with ASC actors and Mary Baldwin College professors, while rehearsing for their final shows.
The first camp session will perform one-hour versions of Shakespeare's Pericles and As You Like It and The Wild Goose Chase by John Fletcher, one of Shakespeare's contemporaries.
>> Periclesis a sea-faring, chivalric adventure of a family torn apart then reunited, featuring pirates, shipwrecks, and villainous kings.
>> The Wild Goose Chase, by John Fletcher, explores the sport of marriage, though tricks and traps line the path to the altar in this madcap comedy.
>> As You Like It is a classic tale of pastoral pleasures infused with gender-bending and romantic confusion in the Forest of Arden.
The final performances are free and open to the public, and all ages are encouraged to join in giving the young company an enthusiastic audience.
(c)2013 The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.)
Visit The News Virginian (Waynesboro, Va.) at www.newsvirginian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market