MONTREAL, QUEBEC -- (Marketwired) -- 07/02/13 -- Canada's leading voice for retail workers, the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW Canada), joins Zellers workers in Quebec in celebrating a decision by the Quebec Labour Standards Commission that recognizes - for the first time - Target's responsibility to Zellers workers and their communities by ruling that Target needs just cause to deny former-Zellers workers employment in the rebranded retail locations.
During an interview with reporter Marie-Pier Duplessis (as published in Le Soleil on June 28, 2013), the spokesperson for the Labour Standards Commission, Jean-Francois Pelchat announced that all former Zellers employees who had applied for a job at Target, and whose application was turned down, had 45 days from the date of the denial notice to file a complaint with the Commission for dismissal without just cause under sections 96 and 97 of the Act.
As far as UFCW Canada is concerned, the Commission's decision clearly recognizes the employment relationship between former Zellers employees and their new employer - Target.
"It's an important decision for Zellers employees. At last, their labour rights are being recognized and Target will have no choice but to respect them. We encourage all the men and women who suffered another setback from Target to file a complaint with the Labour Standards Commission. The more employees who file a complaint, the clearer the message will be that the company is not above the law and that it cannot use unethical ploys with impunity. Even if these workers are not union members, UFCW will support them all along the process," says Antonio Filato, president of UFCW Canada Local 500.
About UFCW Canada:
UFCW Canada is Canada's leading retail union, representing a quarter of a million workers across the country including more than 45,000 members in Quebec.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Justin Bieber Loses Cool Over Selena Gomez
- Maya Angelou Cancels Milagro Gala Appearance Due to Illness
- GOP 2016 Hopefuls Face Off at CPAC
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Daylight Savings Time Comes This Weekend
- Heavy Sanctions on Russia Could Backfire on West
- Lindsay Lohan, Jimmy Fallon Get Soaked on 'The Tonight Show': Watch