Similar to last year, retail gas prices have dropped before the busiest
summer driving weekend, the Independence Day holiday.
On average, pump prices in the Southeast fell 6 cents from last week, making it a little more affordable for motorists to travel this upcoming weekend, according to oil experts.
Nationally, the cost for a gallon of regular gasoline during the 2012 holiday weekend was $3.36, about 20 cents less than what it will likely be this Independence Day holiday weekend.
"Although gas prices are higher than they were this time last year, the price trend is relatively the same with gas prices retreating before millions of Americans travel for Independence Day," said Jessica Brady, AAA spokeswoman with The Auto Club Group. "About 41 million people plan to take a trip this holiday and gas prices are not expected to deter them."
The national average price of regular unleaded gasoline is $3.49, 8 cents less than last week. Florida's average of $3.45 fell about 6 cents from last week. Georgia's average price for a gallon of gas is $3.37, 7 cents less than last week.
In Ocala, the average price was $3.44, down from $3.47 a week ago, according to the crowd-sourcing website www.gasbuddy.com.
In Gainesville, the average price for a gallon of regular on Monday was $3.53, down from $3.55 last week, according to the website. The prices ranged from $3.39 to $3.69.
The cost for a barrel of oil closed last Friday at $96.56 on the New York Mercantile Exchange -- $2.87 more than the week prior.
(c)2013 the Ocala Star-Banner (Ocala, Fla.)
Visit the Ocala Star-Banner (Ocala, Fla.) at www.ocala.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time