Just one day after Mexican authorities
announced the arrest of the reputed boss of the Los Zetas drug
cartel, officials said Thursday they were holding an alleged leader
of another powerful drug operation.
Víctor Hugo Delgado Renteria, alias El Tornado, allegedly is one of the heads of the Jalisco Nueva Generacion cartel. He was arrested July 10 in the western state of Jalisco, the newspaper Milenio reported, citing federal prosecutors.
Federal troops captured the reputed boss of the Los Zetas cartel, Miguel Angel Trevino Morales, alias Z-40, on Monday near the US border. He is wanted for his role in two massacres in which 250 people were killed in 2010 and 2011.
Trevino Morales is on the most-wanted list of both the Mexican and US governments.
Los Zetas allegedly controls large areas in Mexico and Central America and also has operations in the US. It is blamed for having raised the level of brutality in Mexico's gang wars with beheadings and large-scale massacres, often of civilians.
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks