Cabaret at IP
Improv Playhouse examines the dreams of young Broadway hopefuls in a new cabaret show titled "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" running this weekend at the Libertyville theater. IP music director and pianist Matt Piet, Fox Valley Repertory veteran Rachel Page and their colleague Christina Laur-Nuernbreger created the show about two women who never got to see their names in lights. The show features music by Rodgers and Hammerstein and Andrew Lippa ("Big Fish," "The Addams Family") among others.
7:30 and 9 p.m. Saturday, July 20, at 735 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville. $20, $15 students and seniors. (847) 968-4529 or .
'Smokey Joe's' closes
Theo Ubique's long-running, multi-Jeff Award-winning production of "Smokey Joe's Cafe -- The Songs of Lieber and Stoller" which transferred to the Royal George Theatre earlier this year, will close this weekend. Lincolnshire native Brenda Didier directs the revue, which features such 1950s tunes as "Hound Dog," "Yakety Yak" and "Jailhouse Rock."
7:30 p.m. Friday, July 19, 8 p.m. Saturday, July 20, and 3 p.m. Sunday, July 21, at 1641 N. Halsted St., Chicago. $25-$46.50. (312) 988-9000 or .
Redtwist theatre presents the world premiere of "The Beautiful Dark," by Erik Gernand. Skokie resident and Jeff Award winner Jacqueline Grandt stars as a mother who worries fiction resembles reality too closely when she discovers her son Jacob wrote a graphic play about a college student who goes on a killing spree, whose lead character sounds a lot like her son. Josh Altman directs.
Previews begin 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 24, at 1044 W. Bryn Mawr Ave. Chicago. The show opens Saturday, July 27. $25, $30. (773) 728- 7529 or .
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List