July 18--GRAND RAPIDS, N.D. -- The LaMoure County Summer Musical Theatre will bring its production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" to life here starting today.
The musical will be performed July 18-21 and July 25-28. Showtimes are 8 p.m. for the Thursday through Saturday shows, with a 2 p.m. matinee on Sundays. Tickets are available at the theater.
The musical was the first collaboration between songwriters Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice. The pair went on to write and produce other famous Broadway musicals "Jesus Christ Superstar," "Cats" and "Starlight Express."
Jamestown College graduate Anthony McIntyre is directing the production. McIntyre said his parents directed musicals at the LaMoure theater many years ago and he has acted in past productions at the theater.
"The LaMoure (County Summer Musical) Theatre is a traditional summer musical production," McIntyre said. "The cast and crew are all volunteers who put in a lot of time to put on a great production."
"Joseph" is based on the biblical story of Joseph from the Old Testament. Songs from the musical include "Go, Go, Go Joseph," and "Any Dream Will Do."
Kristof Nelson, from LaMoure, is playing Joseph and said he was in past musicals at the summer theater including "The Fantasticks." Nelson is a student at the University of North Dakota, Grand Forks.
"My dad was in the first production held here at the theater, and I've been in five shows here, including this one," Nelson said.
His biggest challenge in playing Joseph is that in past productions he has usually played the villain.
"I usually have to come out here and act very arrogant and bold. The role of Joseph is the exact opposite, he is a very nice person, so I've had to adjust a little," Nelson said.
The LaMoure County Summer Musical Theatre is located in the LaMoure County Memorial Park north of Grand Rapids. Call 701-883-3520 for more information.
Sun reporter Chris Olson can be reached at 701-952-8454 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
(c)2013 The Jamestown Sun (Jamestown, N.D.)
Visit The Jamestown Sun (Jamestown, N.D.) at www.jamestownsun.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence