July 16--Ojai Music Festival Executive Director Ab Sengupta has resigned, according to an email sent to festival donors and subscribers Monday night.
Signed by Stuart Meiklejohn, president of the board of directors, the email says a family illness led to Sengupta's decision to leave Ojai. He does so after less than a year on the job.
Sengupta became the organization's first new executive director in nearly a decade when he replaced Jeffrey Haydon, who left Ojai in August 2012 to be CEO of the Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts in Westchester County, N.Y.
Sengupta previously was artistic director and CEO of Fontana Chamber Arts in Kalamazoo, Mich. He has a degree in economics from Yale University and a master's degree in viola performance from USC's School of Music.
At the 67th Ojai Music Festival in June, he helped guide a previously scheduled program of concerts, films and dance performances that featured American choreographer Mark Morris as music director. Sengupta also helped announce plans for the 2014 festival, which will feature the performance of a newly commissioned opera and pianist Jeremy Denk as music director.
A search committee has formed to find a new executive director, according to the email. Until then, "We have an interim plan in place during the transition but hope to welcome a successor as soon as we can," it says.
(c)2013 Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.)
Visit Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.) at www.vcstar.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Parents Opt to Keep Baby Photos off Facebook
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Rising U.S. Consumer Prices Slowed Down in July
- Home Depot Builds Nice Net Income in Q2
- Mike Brown Death Timeline
- Student Entrepreneurs Get a Leg Up in Philly
- Taylor Swift is a Country Dweller No More
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery