OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 07/16/13 -- - The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Marc Mayrand, received on July 15, 2013, the warrant from the Speaker of the House of Commons indicating that the seat for Provencher (Manitoba) is vacant.
- At least 11 days and no more than 180 days must pass after the receipt of a warrant by the Chief Electoral Officer before a by-election is called, in accordance with subsection 31(1) of the Parliament of Canada Act.
- Pursuant to subsection 57(3) of the Canada Elections Act, the by-election must be held on a Monday. Since the date of the election must be at least 36 days after the issue of the writ, the earliest that the by-election in Provencher can be held is on Monday, September 2, 2013.
Vote. Shape your world.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment