OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 07/16/13 -- - The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Marc Mayrand, received on July 15, 2013, the warrant from the Speaker of the House of Commons indicating that the seat for Provencher (Manitoba) is vacant.
- At least 11 days and no more than 180 days must pass after the receipt of a warrant by the Chief Electoral Officer before a by-election is called, in accordance with subsection 31(1) of the Parliament of Canada Act.
- Pursuant to subsection 57(3) of the Canada Elections Act, the by-election must be held on a Monday. Since the date of the election must be at least 36 days after the issue of the writ, the earliest that the by-election in Provencher can be held is on Monday, September 2, 2013.
Vote. Shape your world.
Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say