Apple Inc on Monday said it would investigate
reports that a 23-year-old Chinese woman died of electrocution as she
was making a call on an iPhone while recharging the battery.
Former flight attendant Ma Ailun died on Thursday while using her iPhone 5 in Changji city in the north-western region of Xinjiang, Ma's sister reported on her microblog.
"We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family," Apple said.
"We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter," it said.
The official Xinhua news agency said police were still investigating Ma's death and had not confirmed that a mobile phone was involved.
Ma bought the phone at an official Apple store in December and used the original charger on Thursday, the agency quoted her sister as saying.
It quoted the China Consumers' Association as saying a man died in north-eastern China in 2010 after he was electrocuted while making a call from a phone he was recharging with an "unauthorized charger."
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.