French authorities said a train derailment south of Paris has left at least
eight people dead and trapped many others in overturned train cars.
Broadcaster BFM-TV quoted police as saying at least eight people died when the train derailed and crashed into a station platform in Bretigny-sur-Orge while en route from Paris to Limoges around 4 p.m. local time, the BBC reported Friday.'
Michel Pouzol, a local member of parliament, said some train cars overturned onto their sides and The Local.fr said reports indicated many people were trapped inside the cars.
The Le Figaro website said a police source revealed the trail split in two for undetermined reasons.
The Paris prefect's office said a "red alert" plan was activated following the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say