French authorities said a train derailment south of Paris has left at least
eight people dead and trapped many others in overturned train cars.
Broadcaster BFM-TV quoted police as saying at least eight people died when the train derailed and crashed into a station platform in Bretigny-sur-Orge while en route from Paris to Limoges around 4 p.m. local time, the BBC reported Friday.'
Michel Pouzol, a local member of parliament, said some train cars overturned onto their sides and The Local.fr said reports indicated many people were trapped inside the cars.
The Le Figaro website said a police source revealed the trail split in two for undetermined reasons.
The Paris prefect's office said a "red alert" plan was activated following the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks