French authorities said a train derailment south of Paris has left at least
eight people dead and trapped many others in overturned train cars.
Broadcaster BFM-TV quoted police as saying at least eight people died when the train derailed and crashed into a station platform in Bretigny-sur-Orge while en route from Paris to Limoges around 4 p.m. local time, the BBC reported Friday.'
Michel Pouzol, a local member of parliament, said some train cars overturned onto their sides and The Local.fr said reports indicated many people were trapped inside the cars.
The Le Figaro website said a police source revealed the trail split in two for undetermined reasons.
The Paris prefect's office said a "red alert" plan was activated following the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17