French authorities said a train derailment south of Paris has left at least
eight people dead and trapped many others in overturned train cars.
Broadcaster BFM-TV quoted police as saying at least eight people died when the train derailed and crashed into a station platform in Bretigny-sur-Orge while en route from Paris to Limoges around 4 p.m. local time, the BBC reported Friday.'
Michel Pouzol, a local member of parliament, said some train cars overturned onto their sides and The Local.fr said reports indicated many people were trapped inside the cars.
The Le Figaro website said a police source revealed the trail split in two for undetermined reasons.
The Paris prefect's office said a "red alert" plan was activated following the crash.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion