Taipei (dpa) - Shares on the Taiwan Stock Exchange jumped 2.09 per
cent Thursday, as regional indices also made gains a day after US
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke indicated that he supports
continued stimulus measures to support the US economy.
The TAIEX index closed 167.85 points higher to end at 8179.54, its highest level in a month.
Financial stocks gained the most at 2.1 per cent, while Taiwan's electronics sector rose by 1.8 per cent.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers, plowing 18.72 billion Taiwan dollars (625 million US dollars) into Taiwan shares.
The US dollar declined to 29.952 Taiwan dollars from 30.085 Taiwan dollars Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- N.M. Dems Say Nonprofit Helping Martinez Campaign