Taipei (dpa) - Shares on the Taiwan Stock Exchange jumped 2.09 per
cent Thursday, as regional indices also made gains a day after US
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke indicated that he supports
continued stimulus measures to support the US economy.
The TAIEX index closed 167.85 points higher to end at 8179.54, its highest level in a month.
Financial stocks gained the most at 2.1 per cent, while Taiwan's electronics sector rose by 1.8 per cent.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers, plowing 18.72 billion Taiwan dollars (625 million US dollars) into Taiwan shares.
The US dollar declined to 29.952 Taiwan dollars from 30.085 Taiwan dollars Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry