Taipei (dpa) - Shares on the Taiwan Stock Exchange jumped 2.09 per
cent Thursday, as regional indices also made gains a day after US
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke indicated that he supports
continued stimulus measures to support the US economy.
The TAIEX index closed 167.85 points higher to end at 8179.54, its highest level in a month.
Financial stocks gained the most at 2.1 per cent, while Taiwan's electronics sector rose by 1.8 per cent.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers, plowing 18.72 billion Taiwan dollars (625 million US dollars) into Taiwan shares.
The US dollar declined to 29.952 Taiwan dollars from 30.085 Taiwan dollars Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million