Taipei (dpa) - Shares on the Taiwan Stock Exchange jumped 2.09 per
cent Thursday, as regional indices also made gains a day after US
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke indicated that he supports
continued stimulus measures to support the US economy.
The TAIEX index closed 167.85 points higher to end at 8179.54, its highest level in a month.
Financial stocks gained the most at 2.1 per cent, while Taiwan's electronics sector rose by 1.8 per cent.
Foreign institutional investors were net buyers, plowing 18.72 billion Taiwan dollars (625 million US dollars) into Taiwan shares.
The US dollar declined to 29.952 Taiwan dollars from 30.085 Taiwan dollars Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- E-scrap Recyclers Find Profits in Upgrades
- Congress Casts a Coy Vote on ISIS War
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- Tips for Hiding, Securing Data on Smartphones
- At Groupon, Not a Good Deal of Workplace Diversity
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo