News Column

Aaron Hernandez Void of 'Any Concern'

Jul 10 2013 3:25AM

Documents unsealed by a judge Tuesday reveal Aaron Hernandez was a suspect from the start of the investigation into the June 17 homicide of Odin Lloyd, with police alarmed by Hernandez's apparent lack of concern for a dead friend.

The quick work by investigators, detailed in the paperwork, enabled police to obtain search warrants for Hernandez's home in North Attleborough, Mass., an apartment police say he rented in Franklin, several vehicles and his locker in the New England Patriots' locker room at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough.

Hernandez, being held without bail, has pleaded not guilty to murder and five weapons charges. Two men allegedly with Hernandez, 23, when Lloyd was killed are also in custody. Carlos Ortiz, 27, has been charged with illegal possession of a firearm, and Ernest Wallace, 41, also being held without bail, has been charged with being an accessory after the fact.

In the 156 pages released, police said that when they arrived at Hernandez's home at 10:30 p.m. June 17, a half-mile from the crime scene, to notify him of the death of Lloyd and to ask about a car Hernandez had rented for his buddy, Hernandez immediately became defensive and asked, "What's with all the questions?"

When asked when he had last seen Lloyd, Hernandez said he had been "up his way" the previous night. But Hernandez quickly became agitated and told police they would need to speak with his attorney, went back into his house, slammed and locked the door. Minutes later, he unlocked the door and approached police with his lawyer's business card, police said in the documents.

When told "this is a death investigation," Hernandez didn't ask whose death, police said. He went back into his house, slammed the door and locked it again. In the documents, police observed, "Mr. Hernandez's demeanor did not indicate any concern for the death of any person."

After contacting his lawyer, Hernandez later agreed to speak with police and went to the North Attleborough, Mass., police station to be interviewed.

Police also are questioning the veracity of statements by Hernandez's fiancee Shayanna Jenkins. She told police that she had gone to bed early on the night of June 16 and didn't know what Hernandez had done after that.

Source: Copyright Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA) 2013. Distributed by MCT Information Services.

Story Tools Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters