THE wonderful Village Green festival returns to Chalkwell Park, Southend this Saturday, July 13.
A feast of music, arts and cultural goings-on, it's now in its fifth year and has attracted a host of UK and international talent.
On the music front, highlights include ragga hip hop band, The Skints, Southend boy Sam Duckworth (of Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly), folk band Skinny Lister and DB Cohen who mixes up ska, punk and Chicago Blues.
There's also an exciting range of theatre, spoken word, comedy and poetry, including Rampage Carnival Arts.
Old Trunk theatre and local group Sundown will be hosting a tent with confirmed acts like Braintree singer-songwriter Beans On Toast and Fashoda Crisis. The Kotiri will be transforming a 1920s style side stall into an intimate cabaret venue with turns from performers from around the world.
The Global Village stage will feature Europe's leading Indian percussion group Chakardar, guitarist David Randall's new act Abioye and Randall, blending North African and Middle Eastern sounds with a London twist. There' ll also be Brazilian and Bollywood dance workshops throughout the day.
Village Green is about joining in too so there will be artists on hand to encourage you to unleash your creative side. You can try your hand at a live drawing event called Life Cycle and there's also a Village Green Market Place packed with more than 60 stalls showcasing work by local artists and crafts people.
Village Green is a free event, but you must pre-register to get a festival wristband at www.metalculture.com
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise