ARCADIA, WI -- (Marketwired) -- 07/01/13 -- Whether you've just said "I do" or you're planning your upcoming nuptials, it's important to create a warm and inviting bedroom space that both the bride and the groom will love. Unless you're planning on buying a new house together, chances are one of you will be making the move into a bedroom that was designed with only one person's taste in mind.
So how can you quickly and easily create a comfortable and stylish space that incorporates both of your tastes?
"You don't have to spend a lot of money or make drastic changes in order to design a bedroom you'll both appreciate," says Brenda Dillon, VP of Merchandising. "Just a few subtle changes can help you turn a bedroom into a place where both of you can relax, unwind, rejuvenate and begin your new life together."
Ashley Furniture HomeStore offers nine ways to create a relaxing and stylish retreat:
1. Incorporate both of your styles. A bedroom should be a personal sanctuary, an inviting place that reflects both of your personalities and tastes. Before you make any changes, talk about the styles you both like and then find a middle ground. Do you prefer a modern style or more traditional furniture? Bold accents or subtle? Look through a few magazines for design inspiration and find décor you can both agree on.
2. Add a coat of paint. Painting is one of the most inexpensive ways to make a dramatic change to any space -- and choosing a soothing, fresh color will help you relax and unwind. If you're having trouble deciding on a color, find something in the room for inspiration. A color from a pillow, throw rug, bedding, vase, or your favorite artwork can be a good starting point. If one of you has bolder tastes, consider using it on just one accent wall. (An accent wall is usually the first wall that you see when entering a room... a wall with a fireplace or large piece of artwork is a great spot!)
3. Keep it tidy. If you're short on space, one solution to avoiding clutter is adding a piece of storage furniture, like a storage bench or armoire. Not only will it help you create a place to neatly tuck away extra items, it can also add an extra hint of style to your bedroom.
4. Ditch the TV. Unfortunately, many people also use their bedroom as a home office or TV room. Reserving this space for sleep and romance alone will lead to a more restful environment and better night's rest. Instead of a taking up space with a TV, consider adding a cozy seating area where you can cuddle up and read.
5. Upgrade Your Mattress. A memory foam mattress is ideal for couples since it absorbs motion -- allowing each partner to be supported independently. If it's not in your budget to buy a new mattress, consider purchasing new pillows, sheets, and a bed topper that's comfortable for both of you.
6. Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. Whether it's a decorative comforter, rug, or a few throw pillows and blankets, accessories are a quick and inexpensive way to add extra warmth, color and beauty to any space. They can be changed out every few years (or seasonally) to create an entirely new look.
7. Dim the lights. Consider adding a dimmer switch to your overhead fixtures, bedside lamps, or use lamp shades in a warm color. Add a row of pillar candles on the dresser, or tea lights in glass votives next to the bed. For an extra romantic bedroom, replace your dull-looking overhead light with a hanging pendant with sheen or sparkle.
8. Use subtle scents. Allow fresh air into your room each day and add a hint of your favorite aromas (or scents that tend to relax like lavender, chamomile and rose).
9. Make it yours. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference in a room. Showcase a few of your treasured heirlooms or hang an enlarged version of your favorite photo together for a charming touch.
For other smart design and decorating ideas, or to browse the hottest new furniture collections and accessories, visit AshleyFurnitureHomeStore.com.
About Ashley Furniture HomeStore
Ashley Furniture HomeStore, the #1 furniture retailer in the United States, delivers furniture and mattresses to customers at over 450 independently owned and operated locations in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Japan. Ashley Furniture HomeStore is an exclusive provider of furniture from Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., the largest furniture manufacturer in the United States. "Like" Ashley Furniture HomeStore on Facebook, follow them on Twitter, or see their design-focused boards on Pinterest.
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2348485
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Ashley Furniture HomeStore
E-mail: Email Contact
Phone: (608) 323-3377
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel
- Self-Induced Abortions Rise After Texas Closes Clinics
- Amazon Fire Phone Improves on Familiar: Review