A startup incubator and a Starbucks store are expected to open on Boulder's University Hill business district.
A Starbucks is slated to open on Boulder's University Hill at the redevelopment that replaced Jones General Store.
Mike Boyers, local developer and property owner, announced the lease Friday morning at a meeting involving Hill business owners and city officials.
The Starbucks store will be located at 1350 College Ave. in the space briefly occupied by Zanitas Mexican Restaurant, Boyers said.
Starbucks operates a coffee shop at 1402 Broadway, off University Avenue. The University of Colorado acquired that property for $1.07 million in 2011.
Also unveiled at the meeting were plans to establish a 5,400-square-foot student-focused startup incubator.
The meeting was organized by Bonnie Dahl, co-owner of The Fitter and Yoyo's Frozen Yogurt, who aimed to generate discussion about the health and direction of the business district that sits to the west of the University of Colorado.
Boyers -- who said he's invested roughly $25 million in the area during the past couple years -- said he would be willing to contribute to seed funding that would be used to invest in efforts to spur activity and economic development on the Hill.
"I've got businesses up here that need more people," Boyers said.
Business owners such as Mark Heinritz, co-owner of The Sink, expressed a desire for the city of Boulder to increase funding and support for the business district. Others suggested creating a microdistrict to transition the area into an arts district and a home for arts-related events.
"I think the Hill just needs a different opportunity," Heinritz said.
The story has been corrected to reflect a Starbucks Cafe and not a Starbucks Evening store.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet