Soy sauce overdose? Apparently, too much soy sauce is dangerous. So what on Earth would possess someone to consume that much soy sauce? A dare, of course. A teenager drank so much soy sauce, he started to suffer a seizure. His
friends took him to the hospital, where he was given anti-seizure medication. He
remained in a coma for three days before he woke up on his own.
The 19-year-old experienced hypernatremia, a condition caused by too much salt in the blood. The salt causes the brain to lose water, shrink and bleed, Dr. David J. Carlberg, the doctor who treated the young man, told Discovery News.
The teen is the first person known to have overdosed deliberately on a high amount of salt and survived without any lasting neurological problems, Fox News reported.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11