Showtime says it has renewed "Nurse Jackie," its New York-set hospital dramedy
starring Edie Falco as the title character, for a sixth season.
Falco plays Jackie Peyton, a strong-willed and brilliant, but flawed, emergency room nurse, in the series.
The show's Season 6 renewal announcement was made Thursday by David Nevins, president of entertainment for Showtime Networks Inc.
Production on the fresh run of episodes is to begin this fall and the new installments will air in 2014.
"'Nurse Jackie' is an essential part of the Showtime brand, and we are thrilled with the series' growth in its fifth season," Nevins said in a statement. "Under the new leadership of Clyde Phillips, and with an amazing cast led by Edie Falco, this show is as sharp and compelling and entertaining as ever. I'm excited to get to see the next chapter in Jackie's life."
The show co-stars Merritt Wever, Paul Schulze, Dominic Fumusa, Anna Deavere Smith and Peter Facinelli.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign