Paris Jackson cut her forearm with a meat cleaver and took numerous Motrin pills
before she was hospitalized in California Wednesday, TMZ reported.
She also left a note and called a suicide hotline, the celebrity news website said.
Paris is the 15-year-old daughter of Michael Jackson, the pop star who died June 25, 2011, after his personal physician accidentally administered to him lethal amounts of sedatives and anesthesia in an effort to help him sleep. He was 50.
Paris' mother and Michael's ex-wife, Debbie Rowe, confirmed to "Entertainment Tonight" the teen was rushed to a Los Angeles-area hospital from her Calabasas home early Wednesday.
A source identified as close to Paris told TMZ this is not the first time the troubled child has attempted to take her own life.
"This was far more serious. It was not a cry for help," the unnamed insider said.
TMZ said the youth received stitches to close the wounds and is expected to recover from her injuries.
A lawyer for her grandmother, Katherine Jackson, told the New York Daily News: "She's suffered with the loss of her father. But we don't know what she was exposed to that precipitated this."
Paris and her two brothers have been living with their grandmother since their father died.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries