- Star Spangled Celebration Live From The U.S. Capitol Features Performances by Season 12 AMERICAN IDOL Winner Candice Glover, Scotty McCreery, Darren Criss, Jackie Evancho, Megan Hilty, the Cast of MOTOWN THE MUSICAL, And Legendary Composer and Conductor John Williams - WASHINGTON, June 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- America's favorite host, two-time Emmy Award-winning television personality Tom Bergeron (DANCING WITH THE STARS) will return to the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol to host A CAPITOL FOURTH, starring music legend Barry Manilow, who is back by popular demand following his powerful debut performance on the show in 2009.
Broadcast live on PBS, the biggest and brightest birthday party in the country will also feature performances by: Candice Glover, the Season 12 winner of AMERICAN IDOL; country music artist Scotty McCreery (winner of AMERICAN IDOL); actor and singer Darren Criss (GLEE); musical prodigy and classical crossover star Jackie Evancho; Broadway and television star Megan Hilty (SMASH); Broadway's new hit MOTOWN THE MUSICAL; and five-time Academy Award-winner John Williams conducting music from the Oscar-winning blockbuster LINCOLN; with the National Symphony Orchestra under the direction of top pops conductor Jack Everly. The 33rd annual broadcast of A CAPITOL FOURTH airs on PBS Thursday, July 4, 2013, from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. ET before a concert audience of hundreds of thousands, millions more at home, as well as to our troops serving around the world on the American Forces Network. The program can also be heard live in stereo over NPR member stations nationwide.
"It's a great honor to return to our nation's capital to celebrate our birthday together on A CAPITOL FOURTH," said Bergeron. "It's a celebration you just can't find anywhere else, with outstanding music and, of course, the greatest display of fireworks... ever!"
With twenty cameras positioned around the city, including the U.S. Capitol, the White House and the Washington Monument, viewers are front and center for the greatest display of fireworks anywhere in the nation during this top-rated extravaganza. Capping off the show will be a rousing rendition of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" complete with live cannon fire provided by the United States Army Presidential Salute Battery, an audience favorite and A CAPITOL FOURTH tradition. Also participating in the event will be the Choral Arts Society of Washington, the U.S. Army Herald Trumpets, the U.S. Army Ceremonial Band and the Armed Forces Color Guard provided by the Military District of Washington, D.C.
A companion web site will feature a comprehensive viewer's guide to the 2013 broadcast. Join in the fun with interactive activities for all ages at www.pbs.org/capitolfourth. The concert Facebook page is at: www.facebook.com/capitolfourth.
The program is a co-production of Jerry Colbert of Capital Concerts and WETA, Washington, D.C. Executive producer Jerry Colbert and producer Michael Colbert have assembled an award-winning production team that features the top Hollywood talent behind some of television's most prestigious entertainment awards shows. This includes: Emmy award-winning producer Walter C. Miller, whose credits include the GRAMMY AWARDS and COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS; award-winning director Paul Miller whose credits include THE COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS and SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE; and veteran television writer Jon Macks whose credits include the TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO, the ACADEMY AWARDS and the EMMY AWARDS.
About Capital Concerts Capital Concerts is the production force behind two of television's longest-running and highest-rated live programs commemorating America's most important holidays. THE NATIONAL MEMORIAL DAY CONCERT, the nation's tribute to our men and women in uniform, and A CAPITOL FOURTH, our country's biggest birthday party, have become American traditions that have consistently ranked among the highest rated programs on PBS over the past decade. The organization also produced the NATIONAL SALUTE TO VETERANS that aired on PBS November 11, 2012. The holiday specials have been honored with over 70 awards including the New York Film Festival Award, the Telly Award, the Golden Cine Award, the Videographer Award, the National Education Association Award, the Aurora Award, the Christopher Award, the Communicator's Award, the AXIEM Award, the Omni Award and the Writer's Guild of America Award.
Underwriters A CAPITOL FOURTH is made possible by grants from The Boeing Company, the National Park Service, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the Department of the Army, PBS and public television stations nationwide. Air travel is provided by American Airlines.
SOURCE Capital Concerts
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status
- New Iran Sanctions Should Be Put Off for Now, Banking Chief Urges