WASHINGTON, June 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Vice President Joe Biden will deliver a keynote speech at the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) 84th annual National Convention June 20 in Las Vegas. His address will be at the Youth and Young Adults Awards Banquet attended by approximately 1,000 LULAC youth and young adult members from across the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
This is the first LULAC convention to be attended by Vice President Biden. Last year, Dr. Jill Biden made a keynote address at the LULAC convention in Orlando, and in 2008 then-Senator Barack Obama spoke to a standing-room-only crowd of thousands at the LULAC convention in Washington, D.C.
"This has been a pivotal time for Latinos in the U.S.," said Executive Director, Brent Wilkes. "With the tremendous demographic changes in our population, the only way the United States can advance in the future is if we address the needs of Latino youth. This includes issues ranging from immigration reform to the DREAM Act and student loans."
"We are particularly pleased that Vice President Biden will attend and give remarks at our pinnacle event for youth members," added LULAC National President Margaret Moran.
Also speaking at the banquet will be former LULAC youth member Jose M. Hernandez, a former NASA astronaut. Hernandez grew up as a migrant farmworker and joined LULAC in Stockton, California, received a LULAC scholarship and was LULAC's National Vice President for Young Adults.
The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) is the nation's largest and oldest civil rights volunteer-based organization that empowers Hispanic Americans and builds strong Latino communities. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with 900 councils around the United States and Puerto Rico, LULAC's programs, services and advocacy address the most important issues for Latinos, meeting critical needs of today and the future. For more information, visit www.lulac.org.League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
Web site: http://www.lulac.org/
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder