DURANGO, CO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/04/13 -- Nestled in the San Juan Mountains in southwestern Colorado, Durango boasts a "Dozen Vacations in One Destination!" Cool mountain nights offer an escape from the heat and sunny daytime adventures are yours to make memories. Here are a dozen ideas to help you plan this summer's Durango vacation. Visit www.durango.org for even more ideas.
1. Old West Heritage. Step back in time and bring the Wild West to life. Enjoy the Bar D Chuckwagon, a dude ranch, take a History Hunt self-guided walking tour; visit the Animas Museum, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum, Durango Discovery Museum, Center for Southwest Studies, or the Southern Ute Cultural Center. There are gunfights, carriage rides, and Melodrama at the Strater Hotel. The Wild West is alive!
2. Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Ride a historic steam train through the remote wilderness to the mining town of Silverton. Explore the wilderness with a hike from the Needleton stop or book a day of zip line thrills at Soaring Tree Top Adventures. Treat your family to the Dinosaur Train or True West Railfest.
3. National Parks & Monuments. Durango is the gateway to culture and history: Mesa Verde National Park, Chimney Rock National Monument, archaeological sites at Hovenweep and the Aztec Ruins; Four Corners National Monument and the Anasazi Heritage Center.
4. Outdoor Recreation. From rafting the Animas River to mountain biking over 200 miles of single-track trails, zip lining, jeep tours and rock climbing to hiking, back packing, golfing mountain courses, horseback riding and paddle boarding. There is an adventure just out your door!
5. Summer on the Mountain. Durango Mountain Resort, the best value ski spot by TripAdvisor for 2012/2013, is also a summer adventure destination. The Total Adventure Ticket features an Alpine Slide, scenic chairlift, mountain bike uplift, miniature golf, and activities in the Plaza. New activities include the Sky Hike Adventure Ropes Course and Water Runners. Try Diggler Mountain Scooters, Purgatory Plunge Zipline, disc golf, climbing walls, bungee trampolines, mechanical bull and bounce house. Home to the first World Mountain Bike Championships in 1990, Purgatory features 10 mountain bike trails for all ability levels and offers mountain bike rentals on site.
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- GOP, Dems Strain to Unearth a Modest Budget Pact