Attorneys for the Florida man accused of killing an unarmed teen have
backtracked on their statements about a video of a fight found on the teen's
In a statement issued Sunday, Mark O'Mara, representing George Zimmerman, apologized for saying video on Trayvon Martin's cellphone was the Miami Gardens teen recording two friends beating up a homeless man, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Rather, he said it showed a video that recorded two homeless men fighting over a bicycle. Martin and a friend happened upon the fight and he only recorded it, the statement said.
"We have been committed to disputing misinformation in every aspect of this case, not causing it," the statement said.
Two weeks ago, the video was among evidence O'Mara's office notified prosecutors it may use at Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial, scheduled to begin June 10 in Sanford.
Martin was the unarmed 17-year-old shot and killed last year in Sanford by Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. Zimmerman, a Hispanic American, said his actions were justified under the state's stand your ground law because he acted in self-defense because the teenager attacked him.
Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled the black teenager.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook