Yahoo says it is ending Mail Classic, requiring all users to switch to the new
That update will allow Yahoo to scan emails to "deliver product features, relevant advertising and abuse protection," TechCrunch reported Monday.
Users can opt out of ads but their emails will still subject to "automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content," the Yahoo policy said.
"Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail (including Yahoo! Mail Classic) will no longer be available. After that, you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new version," Yahoo said in an email to Classic users .
Yahoo is informing users who choose not to agree to its new policies they should either download their mail to another IMAP client or close their account, TechCrunch reported.
Email scanning techniques that serve up ads based on the content of a user's email are in use by other services, including Google's Gmail.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South