Dunkin' Donuts wants to sell you a doughnut sandwich.
Hitting stores Friday, the breakfast item is composed of a fried egg, bacon and two glazed doughnuts. It has 360 calories, according to the company website. That's 60 more than an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's.
Coming on the heels of the news that McDonald's is offering egg whites as a substitution on any of its breakfast items, a glazed donut sandwich at Dunkin' would appear to be running counter to a healthier-eating America.
"We've seen the savory and sweet combination becoming more and more popular," Stan Frankenthaler, executive chef and vice president of Global Product Innovation at Dunkin' said in an article posted on the company site, pointing to success with its waffle breakfast sandwich and pancake bites.
"We want to help guests discover their love of combining sweet and savory, and I think the Glazed Donut Breakfast Sandwich is a great way to do that," he said. "If this trend continues, we'd love to explore more options to offer additional menu items with these flavor combinations."
The Canton, Mass.-based chain did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
firstname.lastname@example.org -- twitter: @emilyyork
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Twitter's Stock Rises on Stellar Revenues
- Is California Going to Land Tesla's Battery Plant?
- DishLATINO Wins Hispanic TV Award
- Ebola Outbreak Strikes Fear in Minnesota
- Judge Orders Kurdistan Oil Seized
- Beyonce Seen Apartment Shopping in NYC Without Jay Z
- U.S. Consumer Confidence at Strongest Since 2007
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row