June 27--Pinewood Shepperton, the movie and TV studios where everything from James Bond to talent show The Voice is filmed, swung to a pre-tax profit of pounds sterling 1.3 million against a loss of pounds sterling 1.9 million a year ago.
Chief executive Ivan Dunleavy said demand was strong although the TV business had suffered a hiatus as he upgraded the studio equipment from standard definition to high definition.
"Pinewood is not a film studio, it's a media studio," he said, explaining how he has tried to make it a multi-purpose production facility for everything from TV and film to computer games and commercials.
Recent productions have included Muppets... Again!, a movie starring Miss Piggy, Ricky Gervais and Kermit, pictured.
Dunleavy said the London area was suffering from a lack of production capacity after the closure of the BBC's Television Centre studios. "That means capacity has come out of the market. It's another reason why we're so vigorously pursuing our appeal to increase capacity at Pinewood."
(c)2013 London Evening Standard
Visit the London Evening Standard at www.standard.co.uk
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response