June 27--Helen Mirren reigns again as Queen Elizabeth in "The Audience," a filmed showing of the hit London play stringing together the queen's regular meetings with 60 years of prime ministers.
Written by Peter Morgan -- who also wrote "The Queen," for which Mirren won an Oscar playing the same role -- and directed by Stephen Daldry, the production broke records when it was shown in movie theaters in a one-time-only deal June 13; it's crossing the Atlantic in the National Theatre Live series this weekend, with showings at 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at a handful of theaters around the colonies, including the Landmark Oriental Theatre, 2230 N. Farwell Ave.
The 'Muppets' connection
"The Muppet Movie," the 1979 movie that brought together a whole lot of lovable characters made of felt and an even larger number of Hollywood stars, is showing at 10:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Times Theater, 5906 W. Vliet St.
Admission is $4.
AMC unchains 'Django'
The "D" is silent, but the Oscars weren't: Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained" won Academy Awards for best original screenplay (for Tarantino) and best supporting actor for Christoph Waltz.
You can take in the mayhem again with AMC's late-night Summer Nights series, which features "Django Unchained" at 10 p.m. Monday through Wednesday at AMC theaters around the country, including AMC Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa.
Admission is $3, with some of the proceeds going to medical research. It's part of a summerlong series at AMC theaters.
(c)2013 the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Visit the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel at www.jsonline.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery