Ecuador is unable to process the asylum application
of US whistleblower Edward Snowden because he is not in the country,
a government minister said on Thursday.
"Edward Snowden's application for asylum could not be processed because the applicant does not reside in Ecuadorian territory," Betty Tola told a press conference.
Tola denied news reports that Ecuador had issued transit papers to Snowden, whose US passport has been revoked and who is currently thought to be in the transit area of Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers