SHELLFISH and musicians took centre stage last weekend when the fourth Rock Oyster Festival took place.
Revellers at the midsummer celebration of food, music and culture enjoyed a packed programme of entertainment at the festival, which was held at Dinham House near Wadebridge. The best of Cornish food and drink was on offer, with oysters from Rock Shellfish at Porthilly and Falmouth's Cornish Native Oysters proving very popular.
Chef Jack Stein from The Seafood Restaurant in Padstow took top honours in this year's oyster-shucking competition, in which judges were looking for a blend of speed and attractive presentation in the preparation of half a dozen oysters.
Friday evening had a distinctly swashbuckling atmosphere with a best-dressed pirate competition for children, and music from folk rockers 3 Daft Monkeys and pirate band Seas of Mirth.
On Saturday and Sunday the Flying Fish chefs' demonstration theatre was home to two days of cookery displays from top chefs Paul Ainsworth, Masterchef 2008 winner James Nathan and The Times' food writer Joanna Weinberg. Thom Hunt of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Three Hungry Boys fame shared how to smoke fish and cook with foraged ingredients.
Festivalgoers who braved Saturday's strong winds and squally showers were treated to some great family entertainment from Swamp Circus, with music from Blair, Smerins Antisocial Club, and Balkan circus rave act Slamboree among the day's highlights.
Sunshine returned on Sunday, when the food and music continued all day, with beer expert Ed Hughes of Sharp's Brewery speaking about matching beer with food, while folk singer Martha Tilston rounded off a great weekend with a captivating performance in the Big Top.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down