Philippine share prices soared more than 5 per cent
on Wednesday, tracking Wall Street's overnight gains on strong US
The 30-share composite index of the Philippine Stock Exchange gained 329.88 points or 5.70 per cent to finish at 6,118.94. The day's gain was the biggest since 2009.
A total of 1.58 billion shares worth 9.63 billion pesos (223.95 million dollars) were traded. Gainers swamped losers 146 to 34, while 30 issues were unchanged.
Traders said better-than-expected US data on house prices, new-home sales and consumer confidence boosted market sentiment and eased concerns about the global economy.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad