Philippine share prices soared more than 5 per cent
on Wednesday, tracking Wall Street's overnight gains on strong US
The 30-share composite index of the Philippine Stock Exchange gained 329.88 points or 5.70 per cent to finish at 6,118.94. The day's gain was the biggest since 2009.
A total of 1.58 billion shares worth 9.63 billion pesos (223.95 million dollars) were traded. Gainers swamped losers 146 to 34, while 30 issues were unchanged.
Traders said better-than-expected US data on house prices, new-home sales and consumer confidence boosted market sentiment and eased concerns about the global economy.
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- House Votes to Make Bonus Depreciation Permanent
- Liverpool Sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona