Philippine share prices soared more than 5 per cent
on Wednesday, tracking Wall Street's overnight gains on strong US
The 30-share composite index of the Philippine Stock Exchange gained 329.88 points or 5.70 per cent to finish at 6,118.94. The day's gain was the biggest since 2009.
A total of 1.58 billion shares worth 9.63 billion pesos (223.95 million dollars) were traded. Gainers swamped losers 146 to 34, while 30 issues were unchanged.
Traders said better-than-expected US data on house prices, new-home sales and consumer confidence boosted market sentiment and eased concerns about the global economy.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks