OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 06/26/13 -- Public Safety Minister Vic Toews today commended members of a joint police operation which resulted in the rescue of two children and led to child pornography charges against 20 individuals in Atlantic Canada:
"I congratulate all those who contributed to the success of Operation Snapshot II and most notably, the rescue of two young victims. My thanks go out to the many law enforcement members who were involved in the arrest of individuals suspected of having committed heinous crimes against children. This coordinated effort involving federal, provincial, regional and municipal police agencies highlights their commitment to saving children who are victims of sexual exploitation and arresting individuals involved in this despicable activity.
Our government has been clear: those who possess, distribute or produce child pornography are committing horrific crimes and should be punished to the full extent of the law. We are committed to protecting our most vulnerable citizens from this abhorrent act."
Operation Snapshot II was led by the RCMP's Canadian Police Centre for Missing and Exploited Children and Behavioural Sciences Branch and included the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, Halifax Regional Police, Cape Breton Regional Police, Charlottetown Police Service, and Springhill Police Service, as well as RCMP divisions in Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
For more information on the RCMP-led operation, please visit the following link: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/news-nouvelles/2013/06-26-snapshot-eng.htm
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Public Safety
Public Safety Canada
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go