June 25--OWN has decided it would like to have some more of Tyler Perry's "The Haves and the Have Nots": The network has doubled its episode order for the drama.
The cable network announced Tuesday it has ordered an additional 16 episodes of the Tuesday drama -- bringing its season total to 32 episodes.
The current cycle of episodes, now in play, will run through Sept. 3, with the second half of the season to roll out in early 2014.
Despite less-than glowing reviews, "The Haves and the Have Nots" -- along with Perry's other launch "Love Thy Neighbor" -- has been a ratings force for the network. The soap drama's late May, back-to-back premiere brought the network its highest-rated series premiere in its brief history -- its 9 p.m. airing brought in 1.77 million viewers, and the second episode of the night grew to 1.8 million viewers.
A month into their entrance into the OWN universe, ratings have dipped. The drama is averaging over 1.5 million total viewers, according to the network -- with its demo sweet spot being women 25-54.
"Naturally, it is wonderful to have the network's first scripted series score so resoundingly," said Sheri Salata, president of OWN. "Tyler's fans and OWN viewers have responded to this guilty pleasure in record numbers, and we are happy to give them more of a good thing."
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Xavier Gutierrez Appointed to Bank Board
- Long-term Strengths Emerge in U.S. Economy
- Weekly Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level in 8 Years
- Honda' s Accord Plug-in Hybrid Is a Fuel Miser
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 to Settle SEC Charges
- Naya Rivera and Ryan Dorsey Are Married
- Menendez: No Arms for Iraq Without Intel