SAN DIEGO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 06/25/13 -- BrightScope (www.brightscope.com), a leading provider of independent financial information and investment research, today announced the Top 15 organizations in the sports industry with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $25 million in assets. This is the sixth list in a new series where BrightScope highlights the strongest plans within leading industries across the nation.
BrightScope obtains an increasing amount of its data directly from plan sponsors and record keepers, and augments these primary sources with data from publicly available sources such as the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. By analyzing and interpreting this data, BrightScope provides unprecedented transparency into the 401k industry.
"It's easy to see our favorite athletes and sports teams on television and not relate to them as employees of their respective organizations with retirement plans, just like you and me," said Brooks Herman, Head of Data and Research for BrightScope. "However, saving for the future is still very important even for members of public and popular organizations like these. We recognize these high quality plans to inspire other companies to put more effort into improving the quality of their plans in order to provide a winning financial future to employees."
Key statistics found on the list of sports organizations with the best 401k plans:
•Average account balance for plans listed is $91,933 •88.89% is the average participation rate for plans on the list •Average company generosity for plans listed is $8,343; the median is $1,910 •Average salary deferral for plans listed is $6,784; the median is $5,467
Top 15 sports organizations with the highest ranked 401k plan containing more than $25 million in assets:
Company - Plan Name - BrightScope Rating
1. National Basketball Association - NBA-NBPA 401K Savings Plan - 91.91
2. United States Member Clubs of the National Hockey League - National Hockey League Pension Plan for Players of United States Member Clubs - 90.46
3. Pension Committee of MLB Players Benefit Plan - Major League Baseball Players Investment Plan - 90.00
4. Board of Trustees of the National Hockey League Players' Pension Plan - National Hockey League Players' Pension Plan - 87.25
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response