The prosecutor in the racially charged trial of
a Florida neighborhood watch captain on Monday opened his arguments
by quoting the obscene remarks of the alleged killer before the black
teenager was shot dead.
Prosecutor John Guy quoted the accused, George Zimmerman, as saying: "F...ing punks, these assholes they always get away."
The remark was made by Zimmerman to a police dispatcher before shooting Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old wearing a hoodie who was visiting in the gated community, Guy said.
Martin's death in Sanford, Florida in February 2012 triggered nationwide outrage after Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, was initially not charged by police.
Protesters donned hooded sweatshirts and held aloft packets of candy like the one Martin was carrying home to his host's residence before the fatal confrontation.
Guy told the jury of six women - five white and one Hispanic - that Martin's death was the result of two worlds colliding.
"When he saw Trayvon Martin, he did not see a young man walking home. As he told the dispatcher at the Sanford police, he saw something suspicious. Something not up for good," Guy said, adding that Zimmerman had "profiled" Martin.
Guy also noted a phone conversation shortly before his death, when the teenager interrupted to demand of Zimmerman, "What are you following me for?" The phone then went dead.
Zimmerman had "shot him for one reason, because he wanted to," Guy said.
Zimmerman's defence has argued all along that the neighbourhood watch volunteer had been attacked by Martin, citing evidence of scratches on his body.
"I think the evidence will show that this is a sad case. There are no monsters," Don West told the jury.
Most Popular Stories
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Senators Reach Deal on Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Deborah Hersman Quits NTSB
- Swedish Journalist Nils Horner Shot Dead in Kabul
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- Job Openings Less Than Expected in January
- Bob Crow Remembered as Shrewd Champion of Union Workers
- El Empleo Rebota: La Columna Cohen