High-wire walker Nik Wallenda's attempt to traverse the Grand Canyon was the most tweeted-about event on TV, according to newly released Twitter TV rankings from Nielsen's SocialGuide.
The Discovery Channel's "Skywire Live" special Sunday carried Wallenda's nail-biting, 23-minute journey cross the 1,400-foot wire without benefit of a tether, net or safety harness. At the midpoint, he stopped and sat on the wire to steady it before completing his trip along the 81/2-ton steel cable to set a world record.
The feat generated more than 1 million tweets, according to SocialGuide, which measures Twitter TV conversations.
Other TV shows producing chatter on Twitter for the week of June 17 were ABC Family's "Pretty Little Liars," which generated nearly 550,000 tweets, and the finale of NBC's singing competition "The Voice," which prompted more than 430,000 comments. VH1's "Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta," with 426,000 tweets, and the MTV series "Teen Wolf," which sparked about 250,000 Twitter comments, round out the top five most talked about TV shows of the week ended June 23.
The connection between Twitter and live TV is hard to miss: About 20-million people sent 300 million tweets about U.S. shows in the first three months of the year. SocialGuide seeks to measure those conversations across 240 TV channels, and plans to issue a Top 10 ranking of the most buzzed about TV programs of the week.
Here are the top 10 tweeted TV events of the week, per SocialGuide.
Week of June 17-23:
Rank Program Episode Title Network Date Tweets
1. "Skywire Live With Nik Wallenda" Nik Wallenda Discovery 6/23/2013 1,000,194
2. "Pretty Little Liars" "Turn of the Shoe" ABC Family 6/18/2013 548,962
3. "The Voice" "Live Finale" NBC 6/18/2013 431,435
4. "Love & Hip-Hop: Atlanta" "Stevie vs. Mimi and Nikko" VH1 6/17/2013 425,699
5. "Teen Wolf" "Fireflies" MTV 6/17/2013 249,127
6. "WWE Monday Night RAW" "Will Triple H compete?" USA 6/17/2013 227,546
7. "The Voice" "Live Final Performances" NBC 6/17/2013 176,676
8. "The Wanted Life" "Obama Like a Pop Star" E! 6/23/2013 93,353
9. "Girl Code" "Compliments" MTV 6/18/2013 85,755
10. "Girl Code" "Public displays of affection" MTV 6/18/2013 84,170
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low